January 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Rabbie!



Today is Robert Burns' Birthday and is celebrated by the traditional Burns Night. A few years after his death in 1796, a group of his friends gathered for an evening of recitals and song as a tribute to his memory. Hence, Burns Night was born and has been celebrated for over 200 years throughout the world on January 25, the evening of the anniversary of his birth.

A Burns Supper commences with the Selkirk Grace:

Some hae meat and cannot eat.

Some cannot eat that want it:

But we hae meat and we can eat,

Sae let the Lord be thankit.

Haggis is a central part of the meal. Here’s a recipe from days gone by — mmm, delicious!

“Take the liver, lungs and heart of a sheep and boil them. Mince the meats and mix with chopped onions, toasted oatmeal, salt, pepper, and spices. Take one properly cleaned sheep's stomach. Stuff the cleaned stomach with the prepared contents. Sew up the stomach (leaving enough room for expansion to avoid a large messy explosion) and boil. Serve and eat.”  

I really wish I could get some Haggis over here in the USA, it's something I miss more than I thought I would and I don't fancy making my own after reading the recipe!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment